Friday, October 8, 2010

Have my cake...and eat it too!

My mom and I just started taking "Cake Decorating 101" through the local community college. We decided to take this class for fun...let me repeat: FOR FUN. This is a non-credit "community" (hobby) class. This class is taught by a young mom who happened to be donning pigtails and a couple of barrettes from her daughters hair drawer last night. This isn't "Cake Boss," people. However, I am amazed at how serious some of the "students" were in last night's class! One woman was practically in tears because she was having trouble with some of the piping techniques and her first cake wasn't absolute perfection. On the other hand - my mom and I spend a good majority of the class giggling. I mean, what else are you supposed to do when your frosting bag gets an air bubble and upon piping your design, lets out a big frosting fart?! Of course the overly emotional woman shot us a dirty look, but it was worth it. The biggest challenge this class presented for me was: don't lick your fingers. Easier said than done.

Last night was our first actual hands-on-cake experience, and I have to say, SO.MUCH.FUN! Of course, by the end of the night I was practically sick from all of the frosting I had eaten...which may or many not have come from my fingers :) The frosting was so rich, I actually sent the cake with Tommy to work this morning, so I didn't have any...but it looked pretty cute :) I will document each class with a blog entry for all to see my talent and training in progress!

Here's last night's rendition of a cupcake cake!! Not too shabby for my first try!





No comments:

Post a Comment