Thursday, November 21, 2013

Suppression Check Day!

This morning at 11am, we had our "suppression check." The doctor was checking to make sure the birth control did its job the last 3 weeks in suppressing my ovaries to prevent ovulation. Had my body not reacted to the birth control as desired, I would not be ready to proceed with the final few steps of IVF this round, so this was a rather pivitol appointment. I am happy to report, I passed with flying colors and we have been cleared for take-off! Here we go. Game on - FOR REALS!

What's next, you ask? On Saturday, I start the injections that will now send my ovaries into hyper-drive. I will take 5 injections on Saturday, then 5 injections again on Sunday. Yes, you read that correctly. 5. That is 10 injections in 2 days. Gulp. Sounds like fun, right? Can't wait. To give myself these injections, I've found it is easiest to bend over so there's extra pudge to grab while my stomach is relaxed, and I give myself the shot into the fat padded area on either side of my belly button in that position. Saturday and Sunday will be the worst of it. I have another blood check first thing Monday, and based on how my body responded to the hormone surge on Sat/Sun, that will determine how many injections I will take for the remaining duration leading to harvest. My egg harvest will occur the first week of December. We don't know exactly which day yet, but all of that will be revealed with daily ultrasounds that week. When the ovaries look plump and plentiful, I take a trigger shot - a huge burst of hormones that force my body to release all of the eggs at once. They will harvest exactly 36 hours after my trigger shot.

Although the next 2 weeks will fly by, they will be an intense 2 weeks on these hormones. This is usually the most emotional or "crazy" part of the ride - so buckle up, keep your hands and legs inside the cart, and enjoy the ride - and please tell me all about it later because I may briefly lose my grasp on reality.

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment