Thursday, March 24, 2011

Remnants of the Past...

I decided it was time to do something a little frivolous, a little ridiculous, and a little something JUST FOR ME. At the end of April, I am making a 13 hour drive down to Cambria, California to stay with my Auntie and Uncle at their beautiful little cottage nestled in the rolling hills of this amazing coastal town. Their property is something out of a magazine...imagine a darling home where a giant scrolling wire candle chandelier adorns the front porch - hanging above a fabulous old farmhouse table that has hosted many a summer eve dinners with close friends - amazing food, even more amazing wine...a place that you could sit, and look out over the front of their property with the scent of lemon blossom drifting along and beckoning you to stay forever. They have a giant lemon tree and a beautiful avocado tree literally gracing the front walkway, not to mention roses, jasmine arch ways, and fresh tomatoes and lemon cucumbers down the way. Wild peacocks freely roam the property gracing us with their presence. They share property with a pie and gift shoppe too. Precious.
I am timing my visit, with the "Remnants of the Past" Flea Market and Antiques Show that is hosted twice a year in Nipomo, CA - about an hour south of Cambria. Last Fall, Rachel Ashwell - THE Rachel Ashwell of Shabby Chic, was the guest vendor. I could kick myself for missing that, but I am going to make this show, come hell or high water. I.AM.SO.EXCITED. This is something I want to do, and feel that I need to do - for me, by myself. Time to reflect, time to free my soul and take the adventure I have been waiting for. My oldest cousin, Kristi, is coming over from Fresno to join me, and my Auntie of course will go with me to the market, but the trip itself as a whole, is for me. While I'm down, I will do a little shopping in San Luis Obispo as well - which is between Cambria and Nipomo. The cutest little downtown you've ever seen full of boutiques, cafes, studios, and did I mention boutiques? Imagine NW 23rd, remove the Portland grunge and add California upscale Coast - coastal air, sun, and happiness. It's not nearly as expensive as the Carmel or Santa Barbara area, but much cleaner and nicer than anything I could compare it to as far as Oregon beach towns are concerned. *Sigh* I might never come home! There is just something about this area that has a magnetic force straight to my heart and soul. I am mesmerized by its allure and every time I'm there, a trance-like state of happiness sweeps over me that I cannot explain. Maybe it's the sun, maybe it's the lemon blossoms, or even the wine, but regardless of what calls to me, I'm praying this trip will be a memory-making experience and a time for me to open my heart and mind and for God to speak to me through this adventure...specifically about what my future holds. 3 things I seek: Guidance, wisdom, and clarity. I believe he will speak. I will listen. I leave 6 weeks from tomorrow and I'm already anticipating so much. Please pray with me that I receive those 3 things and more importantly - that I listen.
The pictures below are from my road trip to California from April 2010. That trip was the last time I saw my dad alive and healthy. 200 pictures taken, and not a single one with him. Oh, how I miss him...






4 comments:

  1. I pray that God will honor your requests. You know that He has a hand on every part of you Emily. Every show, I pray over the booths and vendors that what they say and do glorify God. I am so excited to meet you!

    Blessings,

    Judy
    Remnants of the Past

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy, I have no idea how you found my blog, but I was so blessed to read your comment! Thank you so much! I look forward to meeting you and attending the show...and hopefully coming home with a trunk load of treasures while I'm at it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I'll be praying with and for you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun and sounds like it's something you need! I don't have any doubt it wont be a wonderful rejuvenating and hopefully life changing trip for you! I will be praying for you, as well!

    ReplyDelete