Thursday, March 10, 2011

Cupcakes!

Ok, so I have to brag a little...

I made these for a friend's Hawaiian themed baby shower a few weeks ago. When I took the cake decorating class last fall, we didn't learn how to make a "plumeria," so I was a little worried when I committed to making Hawaiian cupcakes that I'd end up with something resembling a bad daisy! After a few practice flowers though, I was a little impressed that I figured out how to free-hand these blooms and they actually looked like plumerias! I made about 60 white flowers out of royal icing the night before - which was the longest part of this project. The next morning, they had hardened beautifully. I painted the centers with frosting coloring and a paint brush. While those were drying, I whipped up a batch of aqua butter cream frosting and with a giant fatty frosting tip, swirled a nice sized dollop onto each cupcake. With the plumerias already hardened, it was easy to just plop them on top of the cupcakes! I only needed half of the flowers too, and because Royal Icing is just sugar and water, these flowers keep safely for MONTHS in Tupperware, so I'm ready for my next Hawaiian themed party :) They turned out so cute, I just had to share!



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE these!!!! Did you design them yourself? They are so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi-I'm hoping you'll read/get this message. I'm looking online for Hawaiian themed cupcakes and saw yours...very cute!!! I was wondering what Wilton tip # you used for the flowers??? Thanks! Debbie (dr1988fhs@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete