Friday, April 2, 2010

My Mother...in a penny-pinching nutshell.

I am preparing to leave on a week-long, California road trip first thing tomorrow morning...which I am incredibly excited about :) My boyfriend Tommy and my brother Paul are joining me. We are planning to leave around 5am, with a pretty specific schedule ahead of us. We have all of our destinations mapped out, so we arrive in time to meet all of our standing reservations. Of course, getting away for a few days can never be complication-free...

So, my mom comes by the boutique today with $20 and a Costco coupon for $1.50 off beverage napkins. You read that correctly. BEVERAGE NAPKINS.

She wants us (while on vacation, mind you) to stop by Costco in California and pick these napkins up for her because the Salem store does not carry them, but she saw them advertised and has decided they have become an absolute necessity. Apparently, she has a square shaped basket that these napkins happen to fit perfectly in. She also told me, she "will not take "no" for an answer" because she'd "do it for us." Now, the coupon expires tomorrow, so we must go first thing on our way down. But don't worry...she'll make it up to us by buying us lunch from Costco's hot dog bar at $1.35 per person. MMM, can't wait.

And by the way, isn't California tax like 10% anyway? Even with the coupon, we'll barely be breaking even! She made it a point to tell my brother the same thing and on top of that, has taken it upon herself to actually call the Redding and Fresno Costco stores to MAKE SURE they carry them. Really, mom? Really? We're still talking about napkins, right? Now, what is special about these napkins, you ask? NOTHING. They are white, square napkins probably sold by the thousands at Walmart, IKEA, Target, or any other grocery establishment - for the same price. The good news is, not only will we save her a whole dollar fifty (which I was really sweating) but we'll also have the pleasure of carting 1,000 little white beverage napkins around the rest of the trip.

Oh, glory.

Yep, that's my mom :)

1 comment:

  1. That is the best story ever. I love it. Ohhh, moms.

    ReplyDelete